Job Opportunity: Deputy Friend of the Court
The Presque Isle County Friend of the Court has an opening for a Deputy Friend of Court position. Bachelor’s Degree in social services and/or legal experience preferred however will consider relevant work experience in lieu of the degree. Must be able to work well with the public. Individuals must be able to abide by the strictest standards of confidentiality.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest together with a resume no later than Friday, August 20, 2021, at 4:30 pm to Kevin Weller, Friend of the Court, 870 S. Main Street, Room 210, Cheboygan, Michigan 49721.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Classification: Full-time hourly position 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a 30-minute lunch; 40-hour workweek, Monday through Friday.
Reports to: Friend of the Court Staff Attorney
Additional Requirements: Successful candidates must pass a criminal history background check and a drug screen.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree with a course study in domestic relations, human services, behavioral science, computer science, legal service, and/or accounting preferred, but those with a minimum of five years of work experience in said fields will be considered.
Experience: Applicant must have clerical experience, have at least intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Windows NT and Microsoft Office or equivalent, basic bookkeeping experience, communication skills, ability to handle difficult situations and/or clients, public speaking, and ability to use/utilize a standard telephone system for communications with the general public, employers and other agencies. Applicant must possess a valid Michigan driver’s license and be able to travel for meetings, training, and investigations.
- Extensive computer skills are needed for case identification, tracking, monitoring, and generating appropriate documents in the Michigan Child Support Enforcement System (MiCSES)
- Maintain a professional telephone demeanor when handling multiple calls, including the ability to provide appropriate information and/or referral in the areas of child custody, parenting time, and child support issues
- Provide direct face-to-face contact with clients at the office window, demonstrate the ability to provide accurate and immediate information related to child support, custody, and parenting time issues to the client’s satisfaction
- Initial case entry of individuals and accounts in MiCSES
- Case management of approximately 275 cases
- Case maintenance (locating clients and their employers, auditing, accounting, adjustments/calculations, support recommendations)
- Case enforcement (present show cause hearings in front of the Judge, support collection, health insurance enforcement)
- General duties include answering telephone calls from clients, scheduling client appointments with a mediator, correspondence with clients and other agencies, preparing court documents
- Maintain the highest standard of confidentiality, including successfully passing a State-required security and confidentiality exam
- Preparation of an annual statistical report to the State Court Administrative Office
- Preparation of an annual county budget
- Quarterly presentation of the SMILE program to program litigants-the impact of divorce on children
- Running monthly reports to increase monetary incentives and enforcement of orders
- Supervision of office staff, including training and time off requests for part-time clerk, case manager and part-time mediator/investigator
- On-call with Sheriff’s department when client is arrested on a bench warrant
- Respond to requests for child support reviews, conducting reviews and scheduling objections before the Court
- Open all mail and respond accordingly
- Assisting with preparation of Cooperative Reimbursement Program details/ FOC’s Contract for
- financial reimbursement from the state
- Entering warrants into LEIN and monthly reconciliation of LEIN report
- Review cases for license suspension and/or felony warrants
- Preparation of pleadings on cases which require motions for credits on accounts, administrative closure, etc.
- Supervision offinancials, receipting and deposits for child support payments
- Approval of all Judgments and Uniform Orders for Support prior to submission to the Court
- Order office supplies
- Voucher billings to Clerk for payment
- Review all outgoing correspondence to clients