Invitation to Bid: General Civil Counsel
Notice is given that sealed proposals will be received at the Office of the Presque Isle County Clerk, P.O. Box 110, 151 E. Huron Avenue, Rogers City, Michigan 49779, on or before Friday, October 29, 2021, at the hour of 4:00 p.m., General Civil Counsel for Presque Isle County.
The Presque Isle County Board of Commissioners reserves the right to reject any and all bids as in the exercise of discretion the Board may deem to be in the best interest of the County.
Request for Qualifications & Proposals
General Legal Services
Presque Isle County, Michigan
Presque Isle County is requesting proposals from law firms to provide general legal services as the County’s general legal counsel. The County legal counsel is appointed by the Board of Commission. The County legal counsel also serves as an advisor to other elected officials and department heads within the County in relation to their respective duties.
The County has been utilizing the same individual to provide general legal services since February 1999. The County also utilizes this individual to provide human resource and labor counsel and counsel for local ordinances and planning.
The Board of Commission will enter into a contract with a law firm. The County Attorney or their representative shall be available for attending various county meetings as requested. The specific attorney attending the Board of Commission meeting shall be approved by the Board of Commission or their designee.
The County will not be responsible for any costs incurred by any firm to respond to this request. Firms who wish to submit proposals must provide the information outlined in the enclosed Legal Services Qualifications and Pricing Appendixes (A&B) by October 29, 2021. Three (3) copies of the response that includes Appendix A and Appendix B, must be provided in a sealed envelope clearly marked “Legal Services Request for Qualifications” by 4:00 pm on October 29, 2021. Submittals will be publicly opened at a meeting of the Commission’s Finance Committee on November 9, 2021. Late proposals will not be accepted. Proposals should be submitted to:
Presque Isle County Board of Commissioners
c/o County Clerk
151 E. Huron Ave, P.O. Box 110
Rogers City, MI 49779
The tentative timeline is:
|RFQ’s Posted||October 12, 2021|
|RFZ’s Due||October 29, 2021|
|Interviews||week of||November 22, 2021|
|Negotiations/clarification on contract terms||week of||November 29, 2021|
|Recommendations to Board of Commission||December 9, 2021|
|Contract begins||January 1, 2022|
The County may conduct inquires and request additional information from firms as the County deems necessary to assist in the evaluation of any proposal. The Personnel Committee will make a recommendation to the full Board of Commission for a contract with the selected firm. The County expects an initial contract term beginning January 1, 2022, through June 30, 2022 (initial term of six (6) months to coordinate with fiscal year with one (1) year extension as agreed upon by parties.
The County reserves the right to select the firm with legal services that best meet the needs of the County in the sole judgment of the County and selection will be based on experience, qualifications, and/or economic benefit to the County. This selection will most likely not be based solely on cost.
All questions regarding the RFQ/RFP must be in writing and should be directed to:
Ann Marie Main, Presque Isle County Clerk
151 E. Huron Ave., PO Box 110,
Rogers City, MI 49779
Answers to questions received will be posted as a supplement to the original RFQ/RFP statement for all prospective respondents.
The primary attorney assigned to work on County general legal matters shall, at a minimum, possess the following:
- A juris doctorate degree from an American Bar Association accredited college or university.
- A valid license to practice law in the State of Michigan.
- A minimum of five (5) years-experience in municipal law, with an emphasis on Michigan County legal issues.
- Referrals from 3 municipal clients (preferring Michigan Counties) that worked directly with the primary attorney.
Information about the County
The County operates under a Board of Commissioners form of government and has a 2020 Census population of 13,000 residents. Presque Isle County’s general fund budget is $5.9 million with a total fund budget of $15.3 million (this includes Road Commission, 911, etc.).
The County has approximately 70 full-time employees (both union and non-union). Employees covered under collective bargaining agreements are represented by three (3) unions and comprise approximately 60% of the workforce.
Scope of Legal Services
The firm shall provide all administrative and support necessary to manage the workload in order to complete all assignments. This includes office facilities, support staff, legal research, supplies, and equipment. The County anticipates the proposals will identify a primary County Attorney who completes the general counsel matters and maintains the centralized responsibility for coordinating other attorneys and support staff.
The scope of services may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Draft and/or review all ordinances, agreements and contracts.
- Draft and/or review all County ordinances or amendments.
- Assist the County in the sale or purchase of property.
- Prepare deeds and other contracts for the sale and purchase of property.
- Prepare formal opinions on the legal ramifications and implications of matters before the County, as requested by the Board of Commission.
- Provide legal advice on actions taken or contemplated.
- Recommend legislation to the Board of Commission when appropriate or requested.
- Attend Board of Commission meetings when requested.
- Prepare various legal documents required by the County.
- Represent the County, when requested in various administrative proceedings before State agencies.
- Advise appropriate officials on policy affecting the enforcement of all County ordinances or policies. Consult with the Board of Commission on proposed policies and ordinances.
- Provide monthly detailed invoices to the County Clerk for work performed under the general legal counsel negotiated rate.
- Prepare and/or review ballot language as requested by the County.
- Possible legal representation of the County as either a plaintiff or defendant in or out of a court of law.
Legal Services Request for Qualifications
- Firm Name
- Area of specialty.
- Years in businesses.
- Number of Michigan Counties that you routinely provide services for.
- Office location where majority of work will be performed.
- Name and address of parent firm (if applicable).
- Principal contact (name, phone number(s) and e-mail) of the firm. (Answers to questions received from prospective respondents to this RFQ will be emailed to the address provided).
- Proposed personnel for legal services to be provided for each discipline. Please provide the specific name of the individual who will handle each discipline and attach a current resume.
- Other key personnel names who will be used for County businesses.
- Total number of licensed attorneys at the office listed in 2a. above.
- Total number of all staff at the office listed in 2a. above.
- Does firm have adequate staff to handle another municipal client or will staff need to be hired?
- Experience – provide a short narrative (no more than 2-3 pages) detailing experience in municipal law, specifically Michigan County law, including area of expertise. Be sure to include any information on items identified as specialty services in appendix A as well.
- List of specific reasons (no more than 1 page) detailing why your firm should be considered by Presque Isle County for legal representation.
- Provide three (3) or more municipal references from prior or current clients, including all contact information. Preference will be given to Michigan County clients.
- Disclosure of any current clients or interests that may reasonably been foreseen to constitute a conflict of interest when representing the County (such as other local governments, developers, bidders, etc.).
- Provide evidence of a comprehensive liability and workers compensation insurance policy for all staff assigned to work for the County.
- Note any exceptions or deviations to the required scope of services outlined in Appendix A.
- During the past five (5) years has the firm had any Bar Association complaints filed against it? If so, please explain.
- Has the firm been in bankruptcy, reorganization or receivership in the last five (5) years?
- Has the firm been terminated by any municipal client in the past five (5) years? If so, please explain.
- Define the standard time frames for responses by the County Attorney to inquiries by the, Commission members, Elected Officials, Department Head, etc.
- Describe how your firm would familiarize yourself with the current issues facing Presque Isle County.
Legal Service Request for Pricing
- Monthly General Counsel Retainer $___________________
- Hourly rate for Specialty Services Provided $___________________
- Listing all other expenses charged outside
of the above fee: